Volleyball League Rules
Last Updated September 1, 2019
ROSTER AND ROSTER ADDITIONS
A team’s roster is formed throughout the regular season. All players participating in a game must be listed on that team's roster and must have signed waiver. The team captain is responsible for ensuring that each team roster, is complete and accurate (i.e. all team members who participated in that game are listed on the roster). Names of individuals can be added to the original roster, prior to the new team member playing at any point, but a player must participate in at least one regular season game to be eligible to participate in the playoffs.
In order to participate in the league, each player must sign the team waivers. Captains must verify that all teammates are at least 18 years old and have all players sign, and turn in the first night of play. Players not present the first week of play will still be required to sign a waiver with our staff before participating. A SARC staff member will keep your team waiver at the field, or a new one can be established. Players who sign up as individuals, sign the waiver upon arrival.
- All participants must be at least 18 years old before the season starts or have parents permission.
- SARC will have the right to request ID from any player to make sure they are on the roster and waivers signed.
- Players may only play for one team per division.
A team not ready to play (or failing to appear) at the designated day, date, time, and location of the scheduled contest will forfeit that contest. After 15 minutes the first set will be a loss. After 30 minutes the match is a total loss.
In order to be credited for the forfeit “win,” the team receiving the forfeit “win” for the contest must have the minimum number of required players to start a game (2 players, one of which must be a female).
NOTE: Both teams are recommended to present the players present at the game site in order to have those players considered as having “participated” in that game.
Any team that pulls a "no show" or doesn't notify a SARC representative at least 4 hours before the scheduled start time notifies will be subject to a $10/match forfeit fee for the inconvenience of personnel and opposing teams. Fee must be paid at next game or the team will not be allowed to play. Multiple forfeits could result in removal from the league.
Each team consists of four active players. Rosters can have up to 8 players. Full time players must be on roster and must pay league fee, and "guest players" can be on roster and must pay $5 to play each MATCH. Guest players used from other teams are allowed as long as same division, but must spot opponent 5 points per set per guest player.
Coed teams should be 2 men/2 women. Teams are allowed to play with 3 or 2, as long as 1 is a woman. Teams can have more women than men.
A team must have 2 players to avoid a forfeit (min. 1 female).
Substitution is open and unlimited.
Unsportsmanlike behavior may result in that player being ejected from the game. An ejection may result in further suspension from participation in current and / or future SARC events. An ejected player(s) is required to leave the premises immediately – refusal to leave the premises may result in a team forfeit and / or increased length of suspension.
Team uniforms are not provided by SARC, LLC and are not mandatory for volleyball events. However, creativity and team uniforms are encouraged.
START OF GAME:
- Rock/Paper/Scissors will be played between the two captains to determine serve or side; best of one wins and picks either serve or side. Teams will rotate sides and serve after the completion of each game.
- All games are rally scoring. In the “rally” game, points will be awarded on both the service and service receive side.
- Each match will consist of 3 games to 21 points.
- Play continues until a two point advantage is reached or until a team scores 25 points with a one point advantage.
- The team that wins two games shall be declared the winner.
- Each team is allowed one (one-minute) time-out per game. No carryovers.
- Teams must switch sides after either team reaches 11 points. Teams stay after that until game is over.
- After each side out, players must rotate from the front right to back right position. Substitutions can ONLY be made at this point in the rotation. The substitute is now the server. All substituting players must be behind the end line.
- If a team illegally substitutes a player (not replaced from the right front position), that team will lose their serve immediately. All players must relocate to their original position.
- The ball is “in” when it touches the grass of the playing court including the boundary lines.
- A ball is “out” when the part of the ball which contacts the grass is completely outside the boundary line, touches any object outside the court, touches the rope, post, net, etc., outside of the sidelines.
The team is entitled to a maximum of three hits (in addition to blocking) for returning the ball. If more are used, the team commits the fault of “four hits”. The hits of the team include not only intentional hits, but also unintentional hits.
- A player may not hit the ball two times consecutively.
- The ball may touch any part of the body.
- The ball must be hit, not caught and/or thrown.
- The ball may touch various parts of the body only if the contact take place simultaneously.
FAULTS IN PLAYING THE BALL: (SIDE OUT)
- Four hits
- Back row player spikes the ball in front of the 10′ line.
- Double contact; hits ball twice or ball contacts various parts of body in succession.
- Illegal rotation (substitutions made anywhere other than the back-right line).
- No “prolonged contact” between the player and the ball, otherwise known as a lift. The contact should continue in one fluid motion and the ball should not come to rest at any time in that motion.
BALL AT THE NET:
- The ball sent to the opponents court must go over the net (as opposed to under).
- The ball may touch the net, BUT NOT INCLUDING the service.
- A ball driven into the net may be recovered within the limits of the three hits, except the service.
PLAYER AT THE NET:
- A player can break the plane on a spike and a block, as long as you do not interfere with the opponent’s attempt of a returning shot. You can only interfere if part of the ball is directly over the net or if the opponent has no play on the ball.
FAULTS AT THE NET: (SIDE OUT)
- Contact with the net is a fault, even when a player’s momentum causes them to contact the net (excessive net faults will result in that player suspended from the game).
- A player may go completely under the net as long as they neither touch the net or interfere with the play.
- A player touches an opponent in the opponent’s space before or during the opponents hit.
- No “jump” serves are allowed.
- A serve that touches the net and goes in is a "fault" and one more chance given. 2 "faults" result in a side out and point for other team.
- When the serving team wins the rally, the player who served before, serves again.
- When the receiving team wins the rally, it gains the right to serve and rotates before actually serving. The player moves from the front right position to the back right position to serve.
- No receiving player may leave his or her feet to block a serve, or block the serve at all.
- The server must not touch the end line or a “foot” fault will be called. One redo then sideout.
- Blocking is the action of players close to the net trying intercept the ball coming from the opponent’s side.
- A block contact is not counted as a team hit, and a team is entitled to three hits to return the ball.
- The first hit after the block may be executed by any player, including the one who blocked the ball.
- Any excessive attack hit deemed unsportsmanlike by the referee’s.
- General unsportsmanlike conduct towards opponent, referee, etc.
- Player(s) ejected will be suspended for the current game and the following week’s game.
- All teams will make playoffs and seeded accordingly. SARC reserves the right to move teams to a different division based on season standings.
- Guest players can be used for playoffs if they previously made a guest appearance earlier in the season and must pay $20 to participate.